HDFS, mail # dev - HDFS HA Status and Next Steps

HDFS HA Status and Next Steps
sanjay Radia 2012-02-22, 05:16
Hello,
We would like organize a meeting to discuss the 2nd phase of HDFS HA development.

Right now the HA branch supports HOT-Failover, except that it is manual failover. We are now moving into a phase to implement automatic failover.
Please see HDFS-1623 for more details.

Significant enhancements were completed to make HOT Failover work:
   - Configuration changes for HA
   - Notion of active and standby states were added to the Namenode
   - Client-side redirection
   - Standby processing editlogs form Active
   - Dual block reports to Active and Standby.

Engineers at  both Cloudera and Hortonworks have tested manual failover.
Please see HDFS-1623 for more details.

We would like to host a developers meeting on the week of March 5th (tentative) to plan the next phase of development.
Details of venue/conference bridge information to follow.

Tentative Agenda:
   - Next development steps  in automatic failover
   - Other enhancements for HA
Sanjay