Avro >> mail # user >> Asynchronous Clients With HttpTransceiver

Re: Asynchronous Clients With HttpTransceiver
Hi Craig,

You're correct.  While the async interfaces are compatible with all
transceiver implementations, only NettyTransceiver is truly asynchronous.
When using the async interface with any other transceiver it will simply
behave in a synchronous way by blocking until the response is returned.

It should be possible to add async support to HttpTransceiver as well.  I
think the only issue preventing HttpTransceiver from working asynchronously
is the lack of support for out-of-order responses:

Once that issue has been resolved I think it should be easy to make
HttpTransceiver asynchronous.  Looking at AVRO-625 it seems like there is
some debate about what the best approach is for implementing this
functionality.  For example, to prevent breaking existing code that uses
HttpTransceiver, users of the synchronous interface should be able to
specify whether they want to allow out-of-order responses.  I can imagine
that some uses of this transceiver may depend on the current in-order
behavior, so that should probably be the default.

-James