Avro >> mail # dev >> A case for adding revision field to Avro schema

RE: A case for adding revision field to Avro schema
> ... What happens
> when the revisions aren't linear?  (Or do we require them to be?)

I was not considering readers and writers being completely different
software. My use case was two versions of a single application writing and
reading its objects. Non linear revisions for persistence aren't common
within a single application.

> I'm worried that the semantics of reader and writer schemas are already
> complicated enough; adding in sets of schemas makes it even trickier.

I understand your concern. I agree the union schema could become really
complicated over time, say after 5 revisions. We'll have to carry all the
five revisions even if know that nobody needs all the fiver revisions at any
given time.

Given this, let me work with the "external" schema-id idea and gain some
experience and then come back with a proposal.

For now, let me withdraw my proposal.

Thank you and Doug for the valuable feedback.

Thiru