MapReduce >> mail # user >> Setting a custom splitter and/or tracking files split?

Setting a custom splitter and/or tracking files split?
I am running into an issue that the splitter is reading the wrong file and
causing my program to fail -
I cannot find which file is being read -
 context.getConfiguration().get("map.input.file"); returns null and
while I have seem reference to a method getInputSplit I cannot see anything
implementing it

More generally it would be nice to be able tp track and filter files as they
are passed to the splitter -
Is there any way to set a custom splitter and if so how

--
Steven M. Lewis PhD
Institute for Systems Biology