HDFS >> mail # dev >> Re: Upgrade to protobuf 2.5.0 for the 2.1.0 release, HADOOP-9845

Re: Upgrade to protobuf 2.5.0 for the 2.1.0 release, HADOOP-9845
In HBase land we've pretty well discovered that we'll need to have the
same version of protobuf that the HDFS/Yarn/MR servers are running.
That is to say there are issues with ever having 2.4.x and 2.5.x on
the same class path.

Upgrading to 2.5.x would be great, as it brings some new classes we
could use.  With that said HBase is getting pretty close to a rather
large release (0.96.0 aka The Singularity) so getting this in sooner
rather than later would be great.  If we could get this into 2.1.0 it
would be great as that would allow us to have a pretty easy story to
users with regards to protobuf version.