HBase, mail # dev - short scans in one RPC

+
Dave Latham 2013-08-22, 16:53
+
Ted Yu 2013-08-23, 01:02
+
Stack 2013-08-23, 03:24
Re: short scans in one RPC
Dave Latham 2013-08-27, 17:23

> Does trunk not do this?
>
> It at least has all the mechanisms to achieve this where open scanner
> returns results and you can set close on the scanner so you do not have to
>
> A Get is a scan; it for sure does this.

Cool. I didn't realize the scan interface had changed so much as part of
switching to PB in 0.96.  For anyone else who is curious you can find the
trail in the review comments on HBASE-5443.  From what I can tell the
Client code still doesn't attempt to detect an already completed scanner
and skip the extra RPC for close, but I haven't gone through carefully
enough to say for sure.  For META prefetch scans (for example) there's no
field in the Scan object to indicate the max number of rows to return and
it's not using any filters so it must be still doing at least 2 RPCs from
what I can tell.