HBase >> mail # user >> difference between major and minor compactions?

Re: difference between major and minor compactions?
> In contrast, the major compaction is invoked in  offpeak time and usually
> can be assume to have resource exclusively.

There is no resource exclusivity with major compactions. It is just more
resource _intensive_ because a major compaction will rewrite all the store
files to end up with a single store file per store as described in 9.7.6.5
Compaction in the hbase book.

So - it is because it is so resource _intensive_ that for large clusters
folks prefer to have a managed compaction (i.e. turn off major compaction
and run it off hours) so that it doesn't affect latencies for low latency
consumers, for instance.
--S