Home | About | Sematext search-lucene.com search-hadoop.com
 Search Hadoop and all its subprojects:

Switch to Threaded View
Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Re: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta

Copy link to this message
Re: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta
-0 (Binding)

I have made my opinion known in the previous thread/vote, but I have spent
enough time discussing this and need to get back to my day job. If the
community is able to get snapshots and everything else in this list merged
and stable without breaking the stack above it in two weeks it will be
wonderful, but I have serious doubts that it is going to actually be


On 5/15/13 12:57 PM, "Arun C Murthy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>A considerable number of people have expressed confusion regarding the
>recent vote on 2.0.5, beta status etc. given lack of specifics, the
>voting itself (validity of the vote itself, whose votes are binding) etc.
>IMHO technical arguments (incompatibility b/w 2.0 & 2.1, current
>stability of 3 features under debate etc.) have been lost in the
>discussion in favor of non-technical (almost dramatic) nuances such as
>"seizing the moment". There is now dangerous talk of tolerating
>incompatibility b/w 2.0 and 2.1) - this is a red flag for me;
>particularly when there are just 3 features being debated and active
>committers and contributors are confident of and ready to stand by their
>work. All patches, I believe, are ready to be merged in the the next few
>days per discussions on jira. This will, clearly, not delay the other API
>work which everyone agrees is crucial. As a result, I feel no recourse
>but to restart a new vote - all attempts at calm, reasoned, civil
>discussion based on technical arguments have come to naught - I apologize
>for the thrash caused to everyone's attention.
>To get past all of this confusion, I'd like to present an alternate,
>specific proposal for consideration.
>I propose we continue the original plan and make a 2.0.5-beta release by
>May end with the following content:
># HDFS-347
># HDFS Snapshots
># Windows support
># Necessary & final API/protocol changes such as:
> * Final YARN API changes: YARN-386
> * MR Binary Compatibility: MAPREDUCE-5108
> * Final RPC cleanup: HADOOP-8990
>People working on the above features have all expressed considerable
>comfort with them and are ready to stand-by to help expedite any
>necessary bug-fixes etc. to get to stabilization quickly. I'm confident
>we can get this release out by end of May. This sets stage for a
>hadoop-2.x GA release right after with some more testing - this means I
>think I can quickly turn around and make bug-fix releases as necessary
>right after 2.0.5-beta.
>I request that people consider helping out with this plan and sign up to
>help push hadoop-2.x to stability as outlined above. I believe this will
>help achieve our shared goals of quickly stabilizing hadoop-2 and help
>ensure we can support it for forseeable future in a compatible manner for
>the benefit of our users and downstream projects.
>Please vote, the vote will run the normal 7 days. Obviously, I'm +1.
>PS: To keep this discussion grounded in technical details I've moved this
>to dev@ (bcc general@).