HBase >> mail # dev >> [UPDATE] Finishing up 0.96 --> WAS Re: 0.95 and 0.96 remaining issues

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The end of July is upon us.  I intend to cut a 0.95.2 next weekend and
> 0.95.2 will be 0.96.0 but for bug fixes and migration polish.  No more
> 'features' will be allowed after next weekend.
>

> I have done some moving around of hbase 0.95.2 issues [1] to reflect what
> the priorities are for this week (to my mind).  It is all about polish, bad
> bugs, unit test failures, and packaging/publishing/build issues.
>
> I'll be working on the blockers this week [2].  A few are in need of
> reviews; e.g. "HBASE-3787 Increment is non-idempotent but client retries
> RPC".  Feel free to take over any blockers if you'd like to help out: e.g.
> "HBASE-7386 Investigate providing some supervisor support for znode
> deletion"
>
> Criticals [3] are mostly just unit test issues that are probably fixed by
> now and another few that are patches in need of test/review: e.g.
> "HBASE-8874 PutCombiner is skipping KeyValues while combining puts of same
> row during bulkload" and "HBASE-8778 Region assigments scan table directory
> making them slow for huge tables".
>  "HBASE-6127 TestAtomicOperation#testMultiRowMutationMultiThreads
> occasionally fails" is a bad one in need of attention.  Again, if up for
> helping out, be our guest.
>
> There are some great patches hanging out in the priority major issues
> section that are patch available that could be committed but for want of
> review: e.g. "HBASE-8369 MapReduce over snapshot files".
>
> Regards the big features that are racing to make the 0.96 cutoff -- namely
> namespaces, tags, and serialization lib -- as I see it, Francis needs
> reviews if namespaces are to make it, tags ditto, and the serialization
> libs are nice-to-have auxillaries that can come in at any time.  If not
> done by the end of this week, then as I see it, these features do not make
> the cut.
>
> Unit tests are mostly passing.  The problematics are being worked on (e.g.
> JD is on the replication set -- it likely a real problem rather than a
> flakey test).
>
> How's the above sound?
> St.Ack
>
> P.S. It is late but if folks want to meet this week to hack in patches
> together, just say.  I could organize an afternoon or day if you all think
> it would be a good idea.
>
> 1.
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE/fixforversion/12320040#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aversion-issues-panel
> 2.
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20HBASE%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%220.95.2%22%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20priority%20%3D%20Blocker%20ORDER%20BY%20key%20DESC
> 3.
> [...]
UPDATE:

I was to cut 0.95.2 this weekend.  I am pushing out the cut-date to Weds or
so of next week.  The gating factor is namespaces.  It needs a few more
days of patch cycling.  I'll cut 0.95.2 after it goes in.  It'll be the
last feature on the 0.95/0.96 branch.  Thereafter, only bug fixes,
migration cleanup, and doc additions will be allowed (0.96.0RC will follow
soon after the 0.95.2 developer release goes out).

It looks like the serialization ilb will make the cut, API+Ordering; Nick
has signed-on some consumers it seems.

On KV tags, we have an outstanding -1 but -1s can change; lets see what the
new posted patch looks like.

Elliott has fancy-pants tracing that he should be able to get in before
0.95.2.

On the dodgy-looking outstanding blockers:

"HBASE-3787 Increment is non-idempotent but client retries RPC" still needs
reviews.  It is a difficult problem well-researched by our Sergey; perhaps
this does not make it?

On "HBASE-7386 Investigate providing some supervisor support for znode
deletion" we could doc. the "ugly" wrapper/watcher process with why it
exists and suggest it should be supervise instead (with a template) but
this could be post release?

Criticals seem to be all in good hands wanting a bit of testing or a last
review.  Lets get them in.

Reviewing the major issues, I do not see anything we should hold up the
release; please speak up if you think different (How about HBASE-7667, the
stripe compaction work or the fsync work in HBASE-5954?.

On unit tests, we are mostly passing now as reported a few days ago.  There
are a few flakies that would be sweet to purge; e.g:

HBASE-7980 TestZKInterProcessReadWriteLock fails occasionally in QA test run
HBASE-9023 TestIOFencing.testFencingAroundCompactionAfterWALSync

TestDistributedLogSplitting can go 'invisibile' on occasion; i.e. tests
fail it is only one absent from list of completed tests.

But unit tests are looking good on 0.95 and trunk:
https://builds.apache.org/view/H-L/view/HBase/

Your RM,
St.Ack