Avro, mail # dev - SHA support

+
Orayani, Marylou 2013-10-24, 17:31
Re: SHA support
Doug Cutting 2013-10-24, 18:37
Avro's RPC handshake mechanism was designed so that clients and
servers can in fact use different hashing algorithms.  So if you
change the handshake hashing to SHA in Java then you will not break
compatibility with other implementations.  You might reduce the
efficiency somewhat, requiring an extra round-trip the first time a
given server is contacted by a different client implementation.

Doug

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Orayani, Marylou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We are using Java avro in one of our products and found out that it only supports MD5 to generate the hash for protocol texts. We have customers who require FIPS which, in turn, require a hash algorithm stronger than MD5, i.e., SHA. My searches did not yield any requests for this in the past. It seems to me that it may be fairly straightforward to add this support, namely, modifying Protocol.java to add SHA support. Since we're only using Java, this is our focus. Does this sound right?
>
> Marylou

+
Orayani, Marylou 2013-10-24, 18:48
+