Accumulo >> mail # dev >> "Provided" dependencies

Re: "Provided" dependencies
It eases the common case of including transitive dependencies in user
code that writes against the Accumulo API, allowing them to control
versioning of dependencies with the standard dependencyManagement
section (they won't have to explicitly specify dependencies which are
transitive, which can be non-intuitive).

It makes things slightly more difficult in the case of specifying an
alternate transitive dependency than the standard one (eg. using CDH
instead of Apache Hadoop). In this case, users will continue to
specify their CDH dependencies as they would anyway in their project,
but they'll also have to exclude the Apache Hadoop transitive
dependency from the Accumulo dependency.

There's a trade-off here, based on what makes it easier for users
writing client code against Accumulo. As far as I can tell, there's no
other pro/con for the declaration, as our packaging scheme is
independent of the scope.

These choices become moot when we can get separate accumulo-client-api
and accumulo-client-runtime dependencies via ACCUMULO-1483.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii