Accumulo >> mail # user >> Access to connector inside a Mapper class?

Access to connector inside a Mapper class?
Is there a way to get access to the underlying connector being used by the
Accumulo Input Format inside the map method of a Mapper class?  In certain
scenarios, I need to be able to look up a value from a different table
while iterating over a set of keys in the mapper class.  Should I just
create a new connector instance?

Mike