HBase >> mail # dev >> Re: HBase Types: Explicit Null Support

+
Ted Yu 2013-04-01, 21:38
+
Ted Yu 2013-04-02, 00:10
+
James Taylor 2013-04-02, 00:39
+
Jesse Yates 2013-04-02, 06:29
Re: HBase Types: Explicit Null Support
Maybe if we can keep nullability separate from the
serialization/deserialization, we can come up with a solution that
works? We're able to essentially infer that a column is null based on
its value being missing or empty. So if an iterator through the row key
bytes could detect/indicate that, then an application could "infer" the
value is null.

We're definitely planning on keeping byte[] accessors for use cases that
need it. I'm curious on the geographic data case, though, could you use
a fixed length long with a couple of new SQL built-ins to encode/decode
the latitude/longitude?

Nick Dimiduk 2013-04-05, 01:49
+
James Taylor 2013-04-05, 02:18