Hive >> mail # user >> Learn Java for Hadoop

Re: Learn Java for Hadoop
Hi Saurabh,

Welcome to the world of Apache Hadoop! Here are a few good places to start:

1. Apache Hadoop Definitive Guide book:
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920021773.do (you could find a free
e-copy if you Google some :) )
2. Hadoop Javadocs: https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/api/
3. If you want to install Hadoop on your local, Noll's tutorial on how to
do so for a pseudo-distributed mode is really nice:
http://www.michael-noll.com/tutorials/running-hadoop-on-ubuntu-linux-single-node-cluster/
4. The way I started, is by experimenting with Hadoop on my Linux box
terminal. You should definitely try out basic operations, like adding a
file to HDFS from your local filesystem, copying a file from HDFS to your
local, looking at filesystem size, moving files around in HDFS, etc. Here's
where you can start: http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r0.18.3/hdfs_shell.html

In general, I think you should also look at blogs/posts that help you
distinguish Java from the other languages you've used (like HiveQL for
example). How is Java different from C++? What is the difference between a
declarative programming language and an object-oriented programming
language? How does Java create objects? How does it manage them, and
dispose of them? These are the questions you want to look into first, even
before starting to write code in Java.

Welcome to the group once again, and hope you'll be able to start
contributing to the open-source community real quick! :)

Best Regards,
Nishant Kelkar