Hive >> mail # dev >> Dropping support for JDK6 in Apache Hadoop

Dropping support for JDK6 in Apache Hadoop
[Apologies for the wide distribution.]

Dear HBase/Hive/Pig/Oozie communities,

 We, over at Hadoop are considering dropping support for JDK6 this year.

 As you maybe aware we just released hadoop-2.5.0 and are now considering making the next release i.e. hadoop-2.6.0 the *last* release of Apache Hadoop which supports JDK6. This means, from hadoop-2.7.0 onwards we will not support JDK6 anymore and we *may* start relying on JDK7-specific apis.

 Now, the above releases a proposal and we do not want to pull the trigger without talking to projects downstream - hence the request for you feedback.

 Please feel free to forward this to other communities you might deem to be at risk from this too.

thanks,
Arun
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE