Hive, mail # user - Metastore performance on HDFS-backed table with 15000+ partitions

Re: Metastore performance on HDFS-backed table with 15000+ partitions
Stephen Sprague 2014-02-22, 18:27
yeah. That traceback pretty much spells it out - its metastore related and
that's where the partitions are stored.

I'm with the others on this. HiveServer2 is still a little jankey on memory
management.  I bounce mine once a day at midnight just to play it safe (and
because i can.)

Again, for me, i use the hive local client for production jobs and remote
client for adhoc stuff.

you may wish to confirm the local hive client has no problem with your
query.

other than that you either increase your heap size on the HS2 process and
hope for the best and/or file a bug report.

bottom line hiveserver2 isn't production bullet proof just yet, IMHO.
Others may disagree.

Regards,
Stephen.