Hive >> mail # dev >> Parquet support (HIVE-5783)

+
Gunther Hagleitner 2014-02-16, 02:11
+
Brock Noland 2014-02-17, 03:42
+
Gunther Hagleitner 2014-02-18, 03:03
+
Alan Gates 2014-02-18, 17:49
+
Brock Noland 2014-02-18, 18:33
+
Lefty Leverenz 2014-02-21, 00:38
+
Lefty Leverenz 2014-02-21, 07:28
Re: Parquet support (HIVE-5783)
Hi,

Storage handlers muddle the waters a bit IMO. That interface was
written for storage that is not file-based, e.g. hbase. Whereas Avro,
Parquet, Sequence File, etc are all file based.

I think we have to be practical about confusion. There are so many
Hadoop newbies out there, almost all of them new to Apache as well,
that there is going to be some confusion. For example, one person who
had been using Hadoop and Hive for a few months said to me "Hive moved
*from* Apache to Hortonworks". At the end of the day, regardless of
what we do, some level of confusion is going to persist amongst those
new to the ecosystem.

With that said, I do think that an overview of "Hive Storage" would be
a great addition to our documentation.

Brock