Hive >> mail # user >> Indexes vs Partitions in hive

Indexes vs Partitions in hive
Hi All,

How indexes in hive are different than partitions? both improves query performance as per my knowledge then in what way they differ?

What are the situations I'll be using indexing or partitioning? Can i use them together?

Kindly suggest
Regards,
Chhaya Vishwakarma
The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) may contain confidential or privileged information for the intended recipient(s). Unintended recipients are prohibited from taking action on the basis of information in this e-mail and using or disseminating the information, and must notify the sender and delete it from their system. L&T Infotech will not accept responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness of, or the presence of any virus or disabling code in this e-mail"