HBase, mail # user - HBase Replication questions

Re: HBase Replication questions
Otis Gospodnetic 2011-03-24, 20:05
Hi,
> > 1. How long does it take for edits to be propagated to a  slave cluster?
> >
> > As far as I understand from HBase Replication  page
> > (http://hbase.apache.org/replication.html) there's a separate buffer held
by
> > each region server which accumulates data (edits which should be  replicated
>from
> > the edit log) before sending to Slave cluster's RSs. So  basically data are
>sent
> > to slave cluster when:
> > * buffer is full.  Is there an option to configure its size (as a way to
>affect
> > flushing  frequency)?
> > * the end of edit log is reached by this "working thread".  Does thread
>process
> > the edit log periodically or is it watching for edit  log to change and acts
> > "immediately"? If the former, what is the default  interval between runs? Can
>it
> > be configured?
>
> It acts as soon as  the buffer is full or it reaches an EOF. The end of
> the file is determined by  when the file was reopened *because there's
> no way to tail a file in HDFS  without closing the reader, reopening
> the file and seeking to a certain  position*. The end result is that
> replication cannot just fill for minutes  before sending because it
> gets the EOF pretty quickly. Our replication stream  almost always have
> sub-second lag. Only if it reaches the end and it didn't  read anything
> new that it will  wait.
>
> Configurations:
> replication.source.size.capacity, default is  64MB but recently I saw
> some OOMEs issue and I'm starting to think that this  is too big.
> replication.source.nb.capacity, default is 25k. The buffer is  flushed
> when either size or capacity is reached. I'm thinking of deleting  this
> second config because what's really important is the  size.
> replication.source.maxretriesmultiplier, default is 10, so it  retries
> up to 10 times with pauses that are currentIteration  times
> replication.source.sleepforretries. By default it sleeps 1 sec, 2,  3,
> 4... 9, 10, 10, 10, 10 until it's able to  replicate
> replication.source.sleepforretries, default is 1 second, see  above.

So does this mean that if it's unable to replicate after some number of sleeps,
as the ones you've listed above, it gives up trying to replicate?

> > 2. How reliable is replication?
> >
> >  It looks like when there are some networking issues and slave cluster can't
>be
> > reached, this is handled gracefully by replication mechanism. It  sounds
like
> > this should also cover slave cluster going down for some  reason. Are there
>any
> > possible scenarios when replication can be  broken?
>
> The biggest issue at the moment is (from the  replication
> documentation): HBASE-3130, the master cluster needs to be  restarted
> if its region servers lose their session with a slave  cluster

OK.  So sequentially restarting each RS on the master cluster should be OK and
the replication will/should continue where it left off?

> Also reliability in general in 0.90 has went down a bit because  we
> were using 0.89 for a long time and just recently started  using
> 0.90.1... there's still a few bugs I'm hunting.
>

> > 3.  Replication of existing (and possibly big) cluster after the  fact.
> >
> > What are the options to replicate all existing data to a  new (& empty)
slave
> > cluster if replication wasn't configured from  the start and keep
replicating
> > from that point?  It seems that because  edit logs on the master cluster get
> > cleaned this might not be  possible?
>
> From the FAQ at the end of the replication  documentation:
>
> Q. You need a bulk edit shipper? Something that allows you  transfer
> 64MB of edits in one go?
>
> A. You can use the HBase-provided  utility called CopyTable from the
> package org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce  in order to have a
> discp-like tool to bulk copy data.

Right, right... http://blog.sematext.com/2011/03/11/hbase-backup-options/
OK, so if we have a *live* cluster and then one day we decide we want to start
replicating this cluster, we need to stop the cluster first, call CopyTable for
each table, start the slave cluster, restart the master cluster, and replication
should kick in and keep the 2 clusters in sync.
And then if the slave cluster goes down for a while one day, replication won't
be sufficient - one will need to repeat the above procedure again, right?

Aha, thanks for pointing it out.
This also means that one should really be using the latest and greatest about to
be released HBase in order to get this fix, which is good to know.

Thanks!

Otis