HBase, mail # dev - rethinking zookeeper version

Re: rethinking zookeeper version
Gary Helmling 2012-01-27, 17:16
As I recall, there were other API changes in zk 3.3 -> 3.4 that would
make reverting a bit more complicated.  Like the change of
NIOServerCnxn.Factory -> NIOServerCnxnFactory (refactor to top level
class).  So reverting while keeping 3.4 usage for security would
require more work to put in place some kind of shim layer.

In any case, security is meaningless without ZK 3.4, so I am not in
favor of reverting.  I haven't been tracking 3.4 development closely,
so I don't know how much pain bugs in that release have been causing.
But 3.3 has had issues too.  I was just bit by ZOOKEEPER-1208 last
week on a running cluster.  Of course this issue is fixed in 3.3.4 and
3.4.0.  But that would by my opinion for any current issues we're
seeing with 3.4 as well -- let's try to get them fixed and move on
instead of putting effort into backtracking for a temporary solution.

--gh