Avro >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] Avro TLP?

Re: [DISCUSS] Avro TLP?
I like the idea of Avro as a TLP.

Avro has appeal to groups outside of the Hadoop community even though Hadoop
will likely be our biggest "customer" for some time.  Our release cycle and
decisions should be driven by this broader user community.  The fact that
Avro is a subproject of Hadoop can imply that Avro is "Hadoop RPC" or that
it "requires" Hadoop or that it's only useful for huge datasets.  I think
having Avro as a separate TLP would help disabuse people of those notions.

There is a lot of buzz around Hadoop now and leaving could have a negative
effect on our visibility.  However, I think we'll have no trouble generating
our own buzz.  We can, for example, develop strong benchmarks that show we
beat other serialization/RPC systems in performance and announce it loudly.
We already have a generous Apache license.  If we make Avro an easy drop-in
replacement for other systems, we'll likely see broad adoption.  Lots of
happy Avro consumers == buzz.

-Matt