Hive >> mail # user >> Hive - UDF

Re: Hive - UDF
The problem might be Java's limitation on having a single top-level class
in each file (as opposed to classes nested within a top-level class). You
would have to nest your UDFs in such a top-level class. That would work
fine, but when you define a TEMPORARY FUNCTION in Hive, I don't know if the
syntax supports references nested UDFs within a class. Perhaps someone else
can comment, or you could do the experiment yourself and see ;) If it
doesn't work, you'll just refactor the code into separate files.

Actually, since you should build a jar with your UDFs anyway, it's probably
doesn't matter a lot how many files you have, other than the slight
inconvenience of managing more than one.

dean

--
Dean Wampler, Ph.D.
@deanwampler