Chukwa >> mail # dev >> Re: What constitute a successful project?

+
Dai, Jason 2012-11-29, 13:54
+
Eric Yang 2012-11-30, 06:39
+
Jerome Boulon 2012-11-30, 09:04
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-30, 16:05
+
Eric Yang 2012-11-27, 08:08
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-27, 14:19
+
Suresh Marru 2012-11-27, 12:36
+
Benson Margulies 2012-11-27, 13:54
+
ant elder 2012-11-27, 15:16
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-27, 15:32
+
Eric Yang 2012-11-28, 05:41
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-28, 06:00
+
Jukka Zitting 2012-11-27, 08:29
+
Jukka Zitting 2012-11-27, 08:41
+
Jukka Zitting 2012-11-26, 20:21
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-11-27, 00:39
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-27, 03:32
+
ant elder 2012-11-27, 07:50
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-27, 14:12
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-11-27, 04:52
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-26, 20:53
+
Jukka Zitting 2012-11-27, 00:25
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-27, 03:25
+
Eric Yang 2012-11-26, 21:56
+
Bernd Fondermann 2012-11-26, 22:19
+
Eric Yang 2012-11-26, 03:33
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-26, 14:54
On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 6:54 AM, Alan Cabrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Nov 25, 2012, at 7:33 PM, Eric Yang wrote:
>
> > Hi IPMC,
> >
> > For the past two years, Chukwa has been labelled as non-active project by
> > mentors, and has been put on votes for retiring this project by mentor
> and
> > IPMC.
> > In this year's stats, Chukwa has more activities in comparison to Apache
> > Wink in both mailing list traffic and resolved jiras.  Yet Chukwa has
> been
> > voted to discontinue by mentors, but Wink is voted to graduate  by the
> same
> > mentor. Here are the number of mails showed up in dev list between Apache
> > Chukwa and Apache Wink:
>
> Since I am the mentor that started the retirement vote on the podling I
> will explain my perspective.
>
> What it comes down to is actual diverse activity.  For me, the
> overwhelming bulk of the work for Chukwa was being done by one person.
>  While looking at the raw numbers the two projects seem similar, if you
> scrub the threads where we discuss whether or not to retire Chukwa and also
> look at who's doing the actual work, it seems to me that the two projects
> are not exactly the same.

I went ahead and did just that.  I read a bunch of the threads and the
pattern is that one committer does (mostly small) stuff and the few others
typically just say "meh...".

It should be emphasized that retirement != project-death-sentence.  Chukwa
might even do much better as a github project where new contributors can be
groomed more aggressively than with an apache project.
+
Alexei Fedotov 2012-11-26, 15:51
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-26, 18:11