MapReduce, mail # user - running map tasks in remote node

RE: running map tasks in remote node
java8964 java8964 2013-08-23, 14:11
It is possible to do what you are trying to do, but only make sense if your MR job is very CPU intensive, and you want to use the CPU resource in your cluster, instead of the IO.
You may want to do some research about what is the HDFS's role in Hadoop. First but not least, it provides a central storage for all the files will be processed by MR jobs. If you don't want to use HDFS, so you need to  identify a share storage to be shared among all the nodes in your cluster. HDFS is NOT required, but a shared storage is required in the cluster.
For simply your question, let's just use NFS to replace HDFS. It is possible for a POC to help you understand how to set it up.
Assume your have a cluster with 3 nodes (one NN, two DN. The JT running on NN, and TT running on DN). So instead of using HDFS, you can try to use NFS by this way:
1) Mount /share_data in all of your 2 data nodes. They need to have the same mount. So /share_data in each data node point to the same NFS location. It doesn't matter where you host this NFS share, but just make sure each data node mount it as the same /share_data2) Create a folder under /share_data, put all your data into that folder.3) When kick off your MR jobs, you need to give a full URL of the input path, like 'file:///shared_data/myfolder', also a full URL of the output path, like 'file:///shared_data/output'. In this way, each mapper will understand that in fact they will run the data from local file system, instead of HDFS. That's the reason you want to make sure each task node has the same mount path, as 'file:///shared_data/myfolder' should work fine for each  task node. Check this and make sure that /share_data/myfolder all point to the same path in each of your task node.4) You want each mapper to process one file, so instead of using the default 'TextInputFormat', use a 'WholeFileInputFormat', this will make sure that every file under '/share_data/myfolder' won't be split and sent to the same mapper processor. 5) In the above set up, I don't think you need to start NameNode or DataNode process any more, anyway you just use JobTracker and TaskTracker.6) Obviously when your data is big, the NFS share will be your bottleneck. So maybe you can replace it with Share Network Storage, but above set up gives you a start point.7) Keep in mind when set up like above, you lost the Data Replication, Data Locality etc, that's why I said it ONLY makes sense if your MR job is CPU intensive. You simple want to use the Mapper/Reducer tasks to process your data, instead of any scalability of IO.
Make sense?
Yong

Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 15:43:38 +0530
Subject: Re: running map tasks in remote node
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks for the reply.
I am basically exploring possible ways to work with hadoop framework for one of my use case. I have my limitations in using hdfs but agree with the fact that using map reduce in conjunction with hdfs makes sense.

I successfully tested wholeFileInputFormat by some googling.
Now, coming to my use case. I would like to keep some files in my master node and want to do some processing in the cloud nodes. The policy does not allow us to configure and use cloud nodes as HDFS.  However, I would like to span a map process in those nodes. Hence, I set input path as local file system, for example, $HOME/inputs. I have a file listing filenames (10 lines) in this input directory.  I use NLineInputFormat and span 10 map process. Each map process gets a line. The map process will then do a file transfer and process it.  However, I get an error in the map saying that the FileNotFoundException $HOME/inputs. I am sure this directory is present in my master but not in the slave nodes. When I copy this input directory to slave nodes, it works fine. I am not able to figure out how to fix this and the reason for the error. I am not understand why it complains about the input directory is not present. As far as I know, slave nodes get a map and map method contains contents of the input file. This should be fine for the map logic to work.
with regardsrabmdu