Pig >> mail # dev >> Moving Pig's code

+
Alan Gates 2010-10-05, 23:22
+
Russell Jurney 2010-10-06, 06:29
+
Alan Gates 2010-10-06, 13:40
+
Alan Gates 2010-10-06, 14:14
Re: Moving Pig's code
A read only replica only gives half the benefit of DVCS. Consider a
scenario where developer is working on a relatively large feature
(like load-restore redesign, new logical plan, turing complete, new
parser etc.) There are three possible routes here:
1) As in case of load-restore redesign, create a new branch  in svn,
keep manually merging with trunk and then recommend to any one wanting
to use that feature to use that branch instead of mainline.
2) In case of new logical plan, create a new package hierarchy and
then start committing there. For the lifetime of development of
feature, it will be in "partially committed" state on mainline.
3) To keep working in a private local copy and then generate a MB
worth of patch.

Obviously, all three are far from perfect solution and thats where a
DVCS like git is useful. In such scenarios with git developer can fork
the mainline, work on the fork for lifetime of the feature can merge
with mainline with ease and when feature completes can offer his fork
to be merged back into mainline. This eases life of both feature
developer as well as committer who is working with developer to get it
committed.

All this praise of git may still not buy much :) as I believe getting
full git support from Apache Infra is non-trivial effort.

Ashutosh

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 07:14, Alan Gates <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The answer is no, SVN has to be the official repo.  The git repository
> Apache maintains is a read only replica.  However, they have set it up so
> that you can use git entirely to checkout, make changes, and generate
> patches.  See http://git.apache.org/, http://www.apache.org/dev/git.html,
> and http://wiki.apache.org/general/GitAtApache.  So if you prefer git you
> should be able to forget the official repository is in SVN and just live in
> the git world.
>
> Alan.
>
> On Oct 6, 2010, at 6:40 AM, Alan Gates wrote:
>
>> I don't think so, but I'll check and find out.
>>
>> Alan.
>>
>> On Oct 5, 2010, at 11:29 PM, Russell Jurney wrote:
>>
>>> Just curious - are apache projects allowed to use git as the 'repo
>>> of record' ?
>>>
>>> Russ

+
Alan Gates 2010-10-06, 19:52