Avro, mail # user - read a compressed avro file

Re: read a compressed avro file
Scott Carey 2012-04-02, 15:56
Reading an Avro file is the same for all compression types. The header of
the file contains what compression codec is used and the schema for the data
within it.

A basic read may look like:

DataFileReader<Object> reader = new DataFileReader<Object>(myFile, new
GenericDatumReader<Object>());
try {
  for(Object datum : reader) {
    // do something with the datum
  }
} finally {
  reader.close();
}
The documentation is here:
http://avro.apache.org/docs/1.6.3/api/java/org/apache/avro/file/DataFileRead
er.html
or
http://avro.apache.org/docs/1.6.3/api/java/org/apache/avro/file/DataFileStre
am.html

Several examples can be found in the unit tests named TestDataFile*.java:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/avro/tags/release-1.6.3/lang/java/avro/src/test
/java/org/apache/avro/