Avro >> mail # user >> read a compressed avro file

Re: read a compressed avro file
Reading an Avro file is the same for all compression types. The header of
the file contains what compression codec is used and the schema for the data
within it.

A basic read may look like:

DataFileReader<Object> reader = new DataFileReader<Object>(myFile, new
GenericDatumReader<Object>());
try {
  for(Object datum : reader) {
    // do something with the datum
  }
} finally {
  reader.close();
}
The documentation is here:
http://avro.apache.org/docs/1.6.3/api/java/org/apache/avro/file/DataFileRead
er.html
or
http://avro.apache.org/docs/1.6.3/api/java/org/apache/avro/file/DataFileStre
am.html

Several examples can be found in the unit tests named TestDataFile*.java:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/avro/tags/release-1.6.3/lang/java/avro/src/test
/java/org/apache/avro/