Hive, mail # user - Update statment on Hive

+
Renata Ghisloti Duarte de... 2013-05-31, 19:27
Re: Update statment on Hive
Sanjay Subramanian 2013-05-31, 20:04
Hi
Hive reads and writes to HDFSŠand by definition HDFS is write once and
immutable after that.
So like an RDBMS there is no concept of an update rows.
However if u want to delete some records based on a criteria, yesterday
there was a smart post about it, basically selecting the inverse and doing
an INSERT OVERWRITE on the table

INSERT OVERWRITE TABLE will write to the Hive managed HDFS location of
that table and "replace" all that is there with your latest

INSERT OVERWRITE DIRECTORY will write to your HDFS location of choice and
"replace" all that is there with your latest. You can use this directory
as LOCATION to which your PARTITION may point later
Note that INSERT OVERWRITE TABLE will follow the field separator of the
destination table that u specified while creating the table

However INSERT OVERWRITE DIRECTORY will have Hive's default "CtrlA" as the
field separator ( I use 0.10.x)Šperhaps this is changed in 0.11 u need to
verify

In summary , u have to look at updates and deletes very differently from
RDBMS

Good luck

sanjay

On 5/31/13 12:27 PM, "Renata Ghisloti Duarte de Souza"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I was wondering about the "update" statement on Hive. Is it something
>Hive needs? Or can "insert overwrite" be always used instead?
>
>Thank you in advance for the clarification,
>
>Renata.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
Renata Ghisloti Duarte de... 2013-06-10, 19:38