Hadoop, mail # general - [DISCUSS] Move common, hdfs, mapreduce contrib components to apache-extras.org or elsewhere

Re: [DISCUSS] Move common, hdfs, mapreduce contrib components to apache-extras.org or elsewhere
Sanjay Radia 2011-02-17, 04:25

On Jan 31, 2011, at 10:19 PM, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 23:19, Owen O'Malley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 30, 2011, at 7:42 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:
>>
>>> Now that http://apache-extras.org is launched
>>> (https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/the_apache_software_foundation_launches
>>> )
>>> I'd like to start a discussion on moving contrib components out of
>>> common,
>>> mapreduce, and hdfs.
>>
>> The PMC can't "move" code to Apache extras. It can only choose to
>> abandon
>> code that it doesn't want to support any longer. As a separate
>> action some
>> group of developers may create projects in Apache Extras based on
>> the code
>> from Hadoop.
>>
>> Therefore the question is really what if any code Hadoop wants to
>> abandon.
>> That is a good question and one that we should ask ourselves
>> occasionally.
>>
>> After a quick consideration, my personal list would look like:
>>
>> failmon
>> fault injection
>
> This is the best way to kill a project as tightly coupled with the
> core code as fault injection.
>
> So, if you really want to kill it - then move it.
Nigel/Owen did not say "kill it". Folks were simply listing potential
projects to move out.
If you feel that it should stay in then simply say so and give the
reasons -- looks like your reason is "tight coupling".
sanjay