Hadoop, mail # dev - Hadoop Summit: Security Design Lounge Session

+
Larry McCay 2013-07-01, 21:40
+
Kyle Leckie 2013-07-04, 00:20
Re: Hadoop Summit: Security Design Lounge Session
Larry McCay 2013-07-09, 16:39
Adding additional takeaways that were articulated by Alejandro and expanded by me in another thread - so that we have it all in one place…thanks again, Alejandro!

Hi Alejandro -

I missed your #4 in my summary and takeaways of the session in another thread on this list.

I believe that the points of discussion were along the lines of:

* put common security libraries into common much the same way as hadoop-auth is today making each available as separate maven modules to be used across the ecosystem
* the was a concern raised that we need to be cognizant of not using common as a "dumping grounds"
- I believe this to mean that we need to ensure that the libraries that are added there are truly cross cutting and can be used by the other projects across Hadoop
- I think that security related things will largely be of that nature but we need to keep it in mind

I'm not sure whether #3 is represented in the other summary or not…

There was certainly discussions around the emerging work from Daryn related to pluggable authentication mechanisms within that layer and we will immediately have the options of kerberos, simple and plain. There was also talk of how this can be leveraged to introduce a Hadoop token mechanism as well.

At the same time, there was talk of the possibility of simply making kerberos easy and a non-issue for intra-cluster use. Certainly we need both of these approaches.
I believe someone used ApacheDS' KDC support as an example - if we could standup an ApacheDS based KDC and configure it and related keytabs easily than the end-to-end story is more palatable to a broader user base. That story being the choice of authentication mechanisms for user authentication and easy provisioning and management of kerberos for intra-cluster service authentication.

If you agree with this extended summary then I can update the other thread with that recollection.
Thanks for providing it!

--larry