HBase >> mail # user >> HBase Put

Hi

I had a  question on Hbase Put call. In the scenario, where data is inserted without any order to column qualifiers, how does Hbase maintain sortedness wrt column qualifiers in its store files/blocks?

I checked the code base and I can see checks<https://github.com/apache/hbase/blob/trunk/hbase-server/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/io/hfile/HFileWriterV2.java#L319> being  made for lexicographic insertions for Key value pairs.  But I cant seem to find out how the
key-offset is calculated in the first place?

Also, given HDFS is by nature, append only, how do randomly ordered keys make their way to sorted order. Is it only during minor/major compactions, that this sortedness gets applied and that there is a small window during which data is not sorted?
Thanks,
Abhishek