Flume, mail # dev - Re: [5/10] git commit: Merge branch 'trunk' of git://git.apache.org/flume into new-trunk

+
Hari Shreedharan 2012-08-15, 07:08
+
Hari Shreedharan 2012-08-15, 07:12
+
Juhani Connolly 2012-08-15, 08:21
+
Hari Shreedharan 2012-08-15, 08:25
+
Juhani Connolly 2012-08-16, 01:35
+
Brock Noland 2012-08-16, 08:32
Re: [5/10] git commit: Merge branch 'trunk' of git://git.apache.org/flume into new-trunk
Mike Percy 2012-08-17, 08:55
Hey Brock,
I usually use "git status" to see where my local stands vs. the remote. To
get an up-to-date snapshot, you would have to do a "git fetch origin" first.

I just remembered about "git show" from reading the following thread (by
the end of the comments the author has a workable solution for seeing local
differences): http://drupal.org/node/1175950

So you could do something like:
git fetch origin
git status
git show -n5 # or however many commits you want to look back at
# any rebase/edit necessary, repeat above
git status
git push origin trunk

As far as working on other branches, there is more than one way to skin a
cat in git but I often work on a feature / JIRA-specific branch, then
switch to trunk and cherry-pick my changes from the branch. Then I run the
tests and create the diff using something like "git diff --no-prefix HEAD~1
HEAD > FLUME-xxxx.patch".

For applying patches, I do something like this:

git checkout trunk
git fetch origin
git status # ensure no changes
patch -p0 < FLUME-yyyy.patch
git status
git add ...
git commit
mvn clean install
mvn clean
git status # ensure only one commit (no merge commits)
git push origin trunk

Regards,
Mike

+