HDFS >> mail # dev >> Heads up - Snapshots feature merge into trunk

Heads up - Snapshots feature merge into trunk
Support for snapshots feature is being worked on in the jira
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-2802. This is an important and a
large feature in HDFS. Please see a brief presentation that describes the
feature at a highlevel from the Snapshot discussion meetup we had a while
back -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12552861/Snapshots.pdf.

I am exicted to announce that the feature development will soon be
completed. Please see the jira for the design and the details of the
subtasks. This is a heads up about the merge vote mail that will soon be
sent.

Details of development and testing:
Development has been done in a separate branch -
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/branches/HDFS-2802. The
design is posted at -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12551474/Snapshots20121030.pdf.
The feature development has involved close to 100 subtasks and close to 20K
lines of code.

A lot of unit tests have been added as a part of the feature. We also have
been testing this in a cluster of 5 nodes with a long running test that
mimics a real cluster usage with emphasis on use cases related to
snapshots.  Please see the test plan
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12575442/snapshot-testplan.pdffor
the details.

Next steps, before calling for merge vote, we need to get the following
done:
- Add user documentation that describes the feature, and how to use it
- Complete some of the pending tasks
- Continue testing the feature and fix any bugs that might come up
- Update the design document

Thanks to everyone who has participated in design and development of this
feature. Please review the work and help in testing the feature.

Regards,
Suresh
+
Aaron T. Myers 2013-04-18, 01:45