HDFS, mail # dev - relative symbolic links in HDFS

Re: relative symbolic links in HDFS
Daryn Sharp 2011-11-01, 15:19
On Oct 31, 2011, at 5:41 PM, Eli Collins wrote:
>> Regardless, I do think it makes sense to have a convenience method to get the
>> raw path that was supplied at symlink creation. The first thing I tried was
>> Path#toString() so that I guess is pretty intuitive but I can't comment on
>> whether that would break compatibility.
>>

> Would a method Path#getPathPart that returns just the path part of the
> URI be sufficient?  This would be similar to java's URI#getPath
> (remember in Hadoop Path == URI) which just returns the path part of a
> URI.
>
> (It's unfortunate that the Path class is named "Path" since now we
> don't have a good name for just the path part).

I replied to another message in this thread regarding tracking the actual path.  If I understand you correctly: In the FsShell, returning just the path component wouldn't be of much use.  It needs the exact path/uri, as provided by the user, so its custom tracking can be removed.

Daryn