Zookeeper >> mail # user >> Zookeeper Node strategy to pick up the leader?

Re: Zookeeper Node strategy to pick up the leader?
Leader selection is not random, but based on the last transaction
acknowledged. Peers vote for the one with highest zxid (server ids
break ties) and leave election once they hear the same vote from a
quorum. If everything goes well, a quorum supports the new leader and
system is able to make progress.

-Flavio

On Jul 24, 2011, at 10:02 PM, Chiku Singh wrote:

> Suppose I have 5 node configuration in the Zookeeper {1,2,3,4,5}
> Zookeeper
> says that a leader is elected when a majority of nodes vote for any
> given
> node then, the node having majority of nodes is selected as the
> leader.
> Zookeeper benchmark says that a leader election typically takes 200
> ms.
>
> My question is how is the convergence achieved?
>
> Do all nodes start voting for the node 1 as the leader or they start
> selecting the leader randomly? If the appointment of leader is totally
> random then how does it ensure convergence or such fast rates of
> leader
> election?
>
> Thanks for the answer! Help appreciated!

flavio
junqueira

research scientist

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
direct +34 93-183-8828

phone (408) 349 3300    fax (408) 349 3301