Hadoop, mail # general - [DISCUSS] Spin out MR, HDFS and YARN as their own TLPs and disband Hadoop umbrella project

Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 10:25
Konstantin,

On Aug 30, 2012, at 3:12 AM, Konstantin Shvachko wrote:

> 5. Timing is important.
> Waiting until Hadoop 2 is stable as Arun suggested earlier would
> probably be too long.
> Doing it next week, without discussing and solving technical issue
> listed in the thread would be premature.
> I think Hadoop 0.23.3 release backed by Yahoo production has a
> potential to become
> the next stable version, letting the project to move ahead off the
> four year old code base.
> We should help that happen first, and do necessary preparations for
> the split in the mean time.
Agreed. This seems very reasonable - this is along the lines of what I was proposing when I said we should split *before* we declare hadoop-2 as GA (not after Konst, no worries).

Arun