HBase >> mail # user >> standalone HBase instance fails to start

standalone HBase instance fails to start
Hi,

My standalone HBase instance, installed as per the 'getting started' section
at  http://hbase.apache.org/book/quickstart.html, doesn't work insofar.

I get in the log file:

2012-11-23 18:26:37,827 INFO org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn: Session
establishment complete on server localhost/127.0.0.1:2181, sessionid = 0x1
3b2e17842c0002, negotiated timeout = 40000
2012-11-23 18:26:37,866 INFO org.apache.hadoop.ipc.HBaseRPC: Server at
localhost/127.0.0.1:39699 could not be reached after 1 tries, giving up.
2012-11-23 18:26:37,867 WARN
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.AssignmentManager: Failed assignment of
-ROOT-,,0.70236052 to localhost,39699,135368
7992912, trying to assign elsewhere instead; retry=0
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RetriesExhaustedException: Failed setting up
proxy interface org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HRegionInterface to loca
lhost/127.0.0.1:39699 after attempts=1
.
.
.
2012-11-23 18:26:37,869 WARN
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.AssignmentManager: Unable to find a viable
location to assign region -ROOT-,,0.70236
052
2012-11-23 18:29:53,157 ERROR
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMasterCommandLine: Failed to start masterv

This is on an Ubuntu 12.04 LTS VirtualBox, 1GB Memory, 10GB free disk space,
with Oracle JRE 1.6.0_37.

I found some workarounds talking about /etc/hosts but am not sure whether
they are relevant. My etc/hosts contains only:

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

I'm really stuck here.
Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks!
I also posted this at  stackoverflow
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13533283/hbase-fails-to-start>   before
finding this mailing list (... promise to update both when I have it
resolved)