HBase, mail # dev - DISCUSS : HFile V3 proposal for tags in 0.96

Re: DISCUSS : HFile V3 proposal for tags in 0.96
Stack 2013-07-19, 05:12
On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM, ramkrishna vasudevan <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  We can avoid several problems with HFile V2 internals, and backwards
> compatibility concerns, and allow for working tags support with no
> performance impact and low risk to all HBase users who do not want tag
> support, while still allowing for inline tags capabilities in a shipping
> version of HBase, by introducing this in a new V3 version for HFile.

This seems like a good tactic to me.  HFileV2 has the current KV format
hard-coded all over and trying to 'fix' this would probably take a bunch of
effort and would jeopardize current workings.

>  We have been working on this and will have a clean patch with good amount
> of testing in time for 0.96.

I'd think that your moving into a green field by doing an hfilev3 would
make it so your work could run independent of 0.96 timeline; i.e. it could
come in post 0.96?

What sort of changes do you foresee necessary in core to support cell
codecs?  Between rpc and hfilev3?

Thanks Ram,
St.Ack