Hadoop >> mail # user >> HDFS Backup nodes

Re: HDFS Backup nodes
On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 10:09AM, Scott Carey wrote:

> On 12/13/11 11:28 PM, "Konstantin Boudnik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 11:00PM, M. C. Srivas wrote:
> >> Suresh,
> >>
> >> As of today, there is no option except to use NFS.  And as you yourself
> >> mention, the first HA prototype when it comes out will require NFS.
> >

> >NFS is just happen to be readily available in any data center and doesn't
> >require much of the extra investment on top of what exists.
>
> That is a false assumption.  I'm not buying a netapp filer just for this.
>  We have no NFS, or want any.  If we ever use it, it won't be in the data
> center with Hadoop!

It isn't a false assumption, it is a reasonable one based on the experience.
You don't need netapp for NFS, you can have a Thumper or whatever. I am not
saying NFS is the only and the best - all I said it is pretty common ;) I
would opt fo BK or Jini Spaces like solution any day, though.

Cos