Bigtop, mail # dev - [DISCUSS] Bigtop "singularity" branch/release

+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-08-06, 04:38
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-08-06, 04:51
Re: [DISCUSS] Bigtop "singularity" branch/release
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-08-06, 17:42
On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My main concern - as always - is a stability of the underlying components.
> And while the Bigtop's motto so far was 'the bleeding edge', that exactly what
> troubles me.
>
> I'd rather be a bit behind, but provide a stack with components that went
> through a certain degree of field testing. But it might be just me ;)

Well, that's the challenge, I suppose -- hence this thread ;-)

To some extent that's the exact same challenge that every
distribution faces and they all developed slightly different policies
as to how they approach stability vs. latest and greatest issue.
A canonical example here (pun intended) would be Ubuntu with
its LTS/regular releases.

I don't think Bigtop has had a chance to develop such a policy,
but perhaps now is time.

Finally, let me give you an example of one practical issue that
exists right now: as it happens, I'm very interested in integrating
at least Hadoop 2.1.x with HBase 0.96+. Also interested, but to
a somewhat lesser extent of throwing Hue 3.x and Oozie 4.x
into the same integration mix. From where I stand the options
I've got are essentially -- just doing it the branch without planning
any potential release vehicle or suggest those things for the BOM
of something like Bigtop 0.8.

Both options are fine, but I'd rather have others chime in
on which one they consider the most useful approach to the
problem at hand.

Thanks,
Roman.
+