Avro, mail # user - Recursively nested arrays

Re: Recursively nested arrays
Douglas Creager 2011-03-23, 13:34
> Is there a way to structure a schema to support recursively nested arrays, i.e. an arbitrary number of arrays within arrays?  As I haven't found a way to reference an array/items "type" by name, I'm not sure that its possible.  Anyone know any better?

You need a wrapper record, to give you something that you can name:

{
  "type": "record",
  "name": "foo",
  "fields": [
    { "name": "contents", "type": { "type": "array", "items": "foo" } }
  ]
}

In general, you always need a record if you want a recursive type, since records are the only things that both (a) have names, and (b) can contain subschemas.

–doug