Hadoop >> mail # general >> [DISCUSSION] development process of Hadoop

Re: [DISCUSSION] development process of Hadoop
On 05/06/2011 08:14 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:
> On 05/05/11 18:52, Todd Lipcon wrote:
>> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Eric Yang<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote:
>>
>>> Git is powerful in maintaining different branch of the source code.
>>>   However, it will only work if the entire community is willing to
>>> move to
>>> git.  Maintaining svn and git hybrid, is a time consuming task that
>>> we are
>>> paying in full price.  Hadoop community should work smarter for the
>>> source
>>> control.  What do people think about fully adopting git instead of svn?
>>>

>> +1 for Git as a tool. But using git makes it even _more_ important
>> that we
>> have a clearly defined release process that outlines which branches are
>> meant to be released as official artifacts, and what the inclusion
>> criteria
>> for those branches should be.
>>

> I'm +0.9995 for git: some bits I like, some bits I don't (it's awful
> for binary data). And you need more than just a release process locked
> down, you need the developers understanding following a good process.
> If you have written down process docs there, I'd love to see them.
>
> apache infrastructure are discussing git -what would be best would be
> to start with a non-critical project, such as one or more of the moved
> contrib projects (like MR-Unit), so we can see that it, gerrit, etc
> work well within the Hadoop developer world.

+1 for Git

We migrated from SVN to Git for our completed infrastructure, for many
reason:
- Git use much less space than SVN, all the changes are in a single .git
- Git is awesome for branching
- Another great advantage is that there are many developers that know
Git, and how the development process can be greatly improved.

PostgreSQL, one of my favorites open source projects that I use on my
daily work, migrated the development process to Git from CVS.

Regards.

--
Marcos Lu�s Ort�z Valmaseda
  Software Engineer (Large-Scaled Distributed Systems)