Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Q: re Accumulo Commit Policy? (was Re: Setting charset in getBytes())

+
Drew Farris 2012-10-31, 16:09
+
Adam Fuchs 2012-10-31, 16:18
+
Josh Elser 2012-10-31, 16:30
Re: Q: re Accumulo Commit Policy? (was Re: Setting charset in getBytes())
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Adam Fuchs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think the core policy should be if you think your change is at all likely
> to be rolled back then don't commit it. This applies to tickets with active
> debates. I also don't think we need to be heavy handed in policy -- shame
> of roll back is enough motivation and the cost isn't that high.

This particular change required a fair bit of analysis (i.e., looking
at over a thousand method calls). I could only devote that time due to
Hurricane Sandy barreling down on me. If I had held off on my commit
and the source code changed, I would have some merging to do. And
maybe no time to do that. So my time and analysis would have been
wasted. With the commit, the analysis has been made concrete and the
community can more forward. In fact,
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-840 was created to do
just that.

>> Drew said:
>> I haven't been closely following how things have worked with Accumulo, but
>> I did notice that the getBytes() stuff had been checked in. Just wondering
>> if this is the norm, or how things should work.

In normal situations (i.e., in the past) I recall waiting for a
consensus to develop.
+
John Vines 2012-10-31, 17:01
+