Pig, mail # user - Pig 0.9 UDF Counters

+
Ahmed Sobhi 2012-03-30, 08:59
Re: Pig 0.9 UDF Counters
Gianmarco De Francisci Mo... 2012-03-30, 09:41
Hi Ahmed,

What are you using as key?
The method should work with both Strings and Enums.
If you are using one, can you try with the other?

If it is only a temporary null, you can probably work around it by using
ElephantBird as suggested in the blog post you linked.

Cheers,
--
Gianmarco

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 10:59, Ahmed Sobhi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As I wanted to increment some counters in some UDFs I wrote, I came across
>
> http://squarecog.wordpress.com/2010/12/24/incrementing-hadoop-counters-in-apache-pig/
>  as
> THE answer
> which basically says I should use something like
>
> PigStatusReporter reporter = PigStatusReporter.getInstance();
> if (reporter != null) {
>   reporter.getCounter(key).increment(incr);
> }
>

> My issue however lies in that reporter.getCounter(key) always returns null
>
> Also, I'm not sure what to do for the case when the reporter itself is null
>
> Any ideas?
>
> --
> Best Regards,
> Ahmed Sobhi