HBase, mail # dev - Re: Confusion with Actual Number of Regions in HBase

+
Ted Yu 2013-02-20, 23:48
+
Joarder KAMAL 2013-02-20, 23:56
+
Ted Yu 2013-02-21, 00:08
+
Joarder KAMAL 2013-02-21, 01:39
+
ramkrishna vasudevan 2013-02-21, 04:18
+
Joarder KAMAL 2013-02-21, 05:46
Confusion with Actual Number of Regions in HBase
Joarder KAMAL 2013-02-20, 23:26
Dear All,

I am currently running a 3 node HBase cluster with Amazon EC2 small
instance (1CPU, 1.7GB Mem). After running a simple workload (type A) using
YCSB benchmarking tool, I noticed in the Web UI that the number of regions
in the 3 region servers are 7 but when I click to view the table details it
shows there are 5 regions. I am a bit confuse. Does the Web UI showing
wrong results? How can I check region details from the shell/is there any
other command line tools for that? I am using Hbase 0.94.3 (as it is the
latest version compatible with YCSB at this moment) with Hadoop-1.0.4.

Another thing, as you can see the maxHeapMB size is 991 (default setting)
then whenever I am running workloads the server free memory status is
terrible - almost 0MB for 1M/10M transactions (YCSB/Workload-A). My
question is if the maxHeapMB is fixed at 1GB then why I am loosing extra
700MB memory? How can I monitor cpu/memory/io usage for individual cluster
components (HBase/Hadoop/MapRed/ZK, etc.)? Is there any tool available with
HBase?

Thanks a lot.
[image: Inline images 1]
Regards,
Joarder Kamal

PhD Student
Gippsland School of Information Technology,
Faculty of Information Technology,
MONASH University
Churchill VIC, Australia. 3842