Hadoop >> mail # user >> Is there a way to get an absolute HDFS path?

Re: Is there a way to get an absolute HDFS path?
So, you're say that hadoop assumes there is a specific directory hierarchy on HDFS?  Namely that there exists a top-level directory /user/ and that there exist various username directories under /user/?

I only ask because I've never bothered to configure an HDFS system that specific way?  I didn't think there was any reason to impose such a directory hierarchy, but if hadoop really builds implicit paths on such an assumption then that is a good reason to be somewhat strict about organizing files on HDFS in a corresponding fashion.

On Mar 12, 2012, at 15:24 , W.P. McNeill wrote:

> HDFS always translates non-absolute paths like "top/sub" into absolute
> paths of the form "/user/USERNAME/top/sub". So in HDFS "top/sub" is
> unambiguous.

                                           --  Yoda