Pig, mail # user - RE: [Pig Wiki] Update of "FrontPage" by OlgaN

RE: [Pig Wiki] Update of "FrontPage" by OlgaN
Santhosh Srinivasan 2009-09-11, 21:57
Will it help if Pig provides a "Useful Topics/ Quick Help" link with the most used (useful) links? The home page can point users to the latest release.

Santhosh

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Stein [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2009 2:32 PM
To: Olga Natkovich
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Pig Wiki] Update of "FrontPage" by OlgaN

Hey Olga,

Yes, I saw your post to pig-user, which is why I copied the list (I'm not subscribed, so I couldn't directly respond to that post).

The documents are available, of course, but not linked. Where is the FAQ link? I don't see that on the wiki, nor on the Pig site. So in my opinion, you have removed one of the more useful page (who doesn't like a FAQ?!) in favor of preserving a vendor link. I don't think that is proper.

I also do not see how to *immediately* get to the cookbook (also a handy reference!), nor to the javadocs. For those, I need to click through to the Pig site, *then* to the user document, *then* to the topic that I'd like. You're adding a lot of clicks to the process, and removing a lot of visibility to these other pieces of documentation.
And you're *not* doing that for the vendor information.

Do you see how this causes a problem for me?

The ASF is supposed to help out our users, and is supposed to be vendor neutral. The changes that I've seen here are NOT looking that way. I originally edited the Pig wiki page because it didn't even have the word "Apache" on it. That is *very* troublesome. Pig is an Apache project, and that needs to be obvious. It is not some vendor project, and any particular vendor should not have preferential benefit for any of our projects.

Thanks,
-g