Drill >> mail # dev >> Type Casting

Observations while providing explicit cast functions.

1.
On hitting any explicit cast query on Sqlline I get the below results.
While debugging the flow I see that there is no lookup happening in FunctionImplementationRegistry for CAST() function, and therefore it is not casting the argument and returning the passed argument directly.
It seems like some part of query validation is bypassing the lookup for 'cast' function from FunctionRegistry.

0: jdbc:drill:schema=parquet-local> select cast(2.3 as int) from "sample-data/region.parquet";
+---------+
| EXPR$0  |
+---------+
| 2.3     |
| 2.3     |
| 2.3     |
| 2.3     |
| 2.3     |
5 rows selected (0.489 seconds)

2.
For the 'Is Castable' check, we might have to create our own class similar to Optiq's SqlAssignmentRules. Since Drill's datatypes are different from those used in Optiq we might not be able to reuse the class directly.
(Ref: https://github.com/julianhyde/optiq/blob/master/core/src/main/java/org/eigenbase/sql/type/SqlTypeAssignmentRules.java)

Alternatively, an approach can be adopted from Hive's org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.FunctionRegistry's implicitConvertable() method. It uses datatype grouping via enum (PrimitiveGrouping). Then implicitlyConvertable() method checks the common groups to check if types are convertible implicitly.

Let me know your thoughts on the two approaches.

Regards,
Yash