Colin McCabe 2013-02-17, 21:48
Andrew Purtell 2013-02-18, 02:35
Stack 2013-02-18, 01:49
Tsz Wo Sze 2013-02-18, 22:03
Todd Lipcon 2013-02-20, 00:11
Patrick Angeles 2013-02-20, 18:08
Tsz Wo Sze 2013-02-20, 19:56
Tsz Wo Sze 2013-02-20, 23:01
Todd Lipcon 2013-02-20, 23:06
Todd Lipcon 2013-02-20, 23:06
Tsz Wo Sze 2013-02-20, 23:08
Todd Lipcon 2013-02-20, 23:13
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-20, 23:31
Todd Lipcon 2013-02-20, 23:40
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-21, 00:04
Todd Lipcon 2013-02-21, 00:12
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-21, 00:28
Chris Douglas 2013-02-21, 00:29
Aaron T. Myers 2013-02-21, 01:12
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-21, 15:40
Andrew Purtell 2013-02-21, 01:32
Chris Douglas 2013-02-21, 21:24
Tsz Wo Sze 2013-02-21, 22:15
Eli Collins 2013-02-22, 21:55
Tsz Wo Sze 2013-02-23, 02:32
Aaron T. Myers 2013-02-23, 02:40
Tsz Wo Sze 2013-02-24, 00:23
Eli Collins 2013-02-25, 18:24
Tsz Wo Sze 2013-02-25, 20:50
Eli Collins 2013-02-25, 21:16
Chris Douglas 2013-02-25, 21:50
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-26, 00:09
Eli Collins 2013-02-26, 00:39
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-26, 17:33
+
Eli Collins 2013-02-26, 19:24
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-26, 19:35
Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge
On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Suresh Srinivas
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I assume you mean in trunk?  Given that ATM's proposal is to only
>> remove HDFS-2246 from branch-2 once (a) we're confident in HDFS-347
>> and (b) adds Windows support, and we won't be releasing from trunk any
>> time soon -  from a user perspective - HDFS-2246 will only be replaced
>> with HDFS-347 until it supports Windows.  Ie ATM's compromise appears
>> to satisfy your requirement.
>>

> This means, HDFS-347 becomes available in branch-2 only when the
> corresponding windows work completes. Given that there is interest
> in HDFS-347 (see Andrew's email), not removing HDFS-2246 will make
> it available in an Apache release sooner.
>
> I am not sure why removing HDFS-2246 is so important in HDFS-347? Is it
> because you need to spend bunch of time to rework the code to add it back?

Yes, this would require updating all the code to make the fallback
paths to work properly and re-testing. Given that all the patches
posted to 347 have removed 2246 for a while now (this is not a new
approach, Colin has been giving heads up months now about the patches
and the merge), and 2246 was supposed to be a short-term fix (2246 was
only supported on the condition that 347 was a wholesale replacement),
it doesn't seem right to hold up 347 up for Windows support given that
Windows support has not been merged to trunk yet, is not in any Apache
release, etc. Personally I don't like establishing the precedent here
that we can hold up a merge due to requirements from an unmerged
branch.

We'd all like to see 347 show up in branch-2 soon, and the original
proposal to merge 347 accomplishes that, it's one of the downsides of
the compromise for Windows.

Thanks,
Eli
+