Hive >> mail # user >> Creating external table poiting to s3 folder with files not loading data

Creating external table poiting to s3 folder with files not loading data
Long subject, I know.. let me explain a bit more about the problem:

I'm trying to load a file into a hive table (this is on an EMR instance)
for that I create an external table, and I set the location to the folder
on an s3 bucket, where the file resides.
The problem is that even though the table is created correctly, when I do a
"select * from table" it returns nothing. I'm not seeing errors on the logs
either, so I don't know what can be happening....

Also, probably important: I'm using a custom SerDe that I did not
write...but I do have the code for it.

I'm quite new to hive, so I appreciate any kind of pointers you can throw
at me.

Thanks!
Fernando Doglio
+
Dean Wampler 2012-12-14, 15:22
+
Fernando Andrés Doglio Tu... 2012-12-17, 11:32
+
Dean Wampler 2012-12-17, 15:07
+
Mark Grover 2012-12-14, 09:05