Hive, mail # user - Correct way of using regexserde

Correct way of using regexserde
Mohammad Tariq 2013-07-01, 02:37
Hello list,

         I would really appreciate if someone could show me the correct way
of using regexserde as i'm having some hard time using it. I have verified
my regex through http://www.regexplanet.com/advanced/java/index.html and
it's working fine there. But when i'm using the same pattern with
regexserde i'm getting NULL.

My input looks like this :
<SOME_CHARACTER_STRING>

and I want to extract the characters enclosed between the angle brackets.

This is the command i'm using :
hive> CREATE TABLE s(f1 STRING) ROW FORMAT SERDE
'org.apache.hadoop.hive.contrib.serde2.RegexSerDe'
    > WITH SERDEPROPERTIES ( "input.regex" = "(\\w*)", "output.regex" "%1$s") STORED AS TEXTFILE;

LOAD works fine, but SELECT * gives me NULL.

I am on hadoop-1.0.4 and hive-0.10.0

Thank you so much for you time.
Warm Regards,
Tariq